- Remove dirt: Wipe the exterior surfaces of the pumpkin clean using a damp cloth.
- Make a bleach solution of1 tablespoon of bleach (typical brand name "Clorox) per quart of water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the pumpkin inside and all cut areas of the pumpkin with the solution. This will kill much of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting.
- Let it penetrate and dry for about 20 minutes
- Next, rub all of the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly. This will keep out new bacteria and molds as well as dramatically reduce the dehydration!
- Wipe away excess with a paper towel!
- Now, keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and try to keep it as cool as possible (but above freezing!) and you should get at least a week's enjoyment out of it!
How to Preserve Your Jackolantern
Added by: Laurie