How to Choose a Color Scheme for Your HomeFirst: Go to your closet! HUH? Yeah, the closet where all your clothes are hanging out. Take a good look at what you have there. (yeah, I know, don't we all wish our closet looked like this:) Now ask yourself-
- What are the colors I gravitate toward?
- What are the colors I love to be in?
- Are they there because they make me happy.
- Why do I always seem to be buying ______ colored shirts?
Color PaletteSecond: Now that you know what color groups you tend to like, lets take a trip to the fabric store... Yeah, not the paint store, not yet, let's go to the fabric store. One of the best color choosing advice I have ever heard...find a piece of fabric THAT YOU LOVE preferably one with several colors that work together well, and use this as your color scheme.
- A white (or black...if you are daring) This white will be the color of ALL your, well white surfaces be it moldings, doors ceilings etc. The nice part about this is that when you need to touch something up there will never be the... ugh, what color was that... moments.
- A neutral - be it tan, grey or even a blue. Whatever color it is, it must be able to act as your neutral. This color should be a simple color that will be the neutral in your home it is an easy way to bring everything together and a simple choice when you are not sure... for example a hall, or a ceiling. This neutral might be the best color for your sofa too... (if you are doing a tan, one personal suggestion, unless you plan on adding a lot of yellow-which is fine but not everyone's thing, stick to a grey based tan and you will be happier, otherwise your neutral just might end up being more of a color than a, well, neutral!)
- Color of your choice (use your swatch as a guide for theses three choices)
- Another coordinating color of your choice
- Yet another coordinating color of your choice'