Do you have a emergency plan for your pets? For many people, pets are an integral member of the family; however, when disaster strikes pets are often left out of the emergency preparedness plan.
As you design your plan, here are a few steps to keep in mind to make sure your beloved pets are taken care of:
1. Create a pet survival kit along with your emergency preparedness kit can include:
- Pet food
- Vet records
- Can opener
- Cat litter/pans (if applicable)
- Medications (if applicable)
2. Keep your pet’s identification tags up to date and securely fastened to their collar. In case you are separated, your pet’s locator will know exactly whom to contact
3. Make sure to choose an alternate location within your emergency preparedness plan that allows pets. Keep in mind that many emergency shelters are unable to accept pets due to public health reasons
If you’re ever concerned about including your pet in your emergency preparedness plan and need advice, contact your local animal shelter or animal control office.
You also might like these emergency preparedness articles:
Giveaway: Enter to Win!
Each week I’ll be giving away a $25 gift card so that you can create your own emergency preparedness kit. To enter, simply leave a comment on this post.
If you are on twitter, you can earn an extra entry for sharing this tweet with your followers. (This is completely optional.) Example Tweet: How to Create an Emergency Preparedness Plan http://bit.ly/ctgJ2n Enter to win a $25 GC from @Clorox and @TipJunkie #Preparedness Pls RT